Hello Blackhawk Hockey Families,
On behalf of the TAAA Executive, we felt it was important
that we get an update out concerning
the 2020-21 hockey program.
We held our AGM last Thursday, August 20, 2020 where we held elections to the TAAA Board
of Directors. I welcome back Board members from last season and welcome new members to the
Board – a full listing of Board members can be found on our website. I thank each Board
member for their dedication to working on delivering a hockey program in Thorold.
We have been busy working on how our Association programming will look this season and will
be releasing details as soon as they are approved so we can return to hockey safely.
This year is definitely not a traditional hockey season and our focus is to have the kids back on
the ice enjoying the game so please be patient with us as we work hard to get the season rolling.
The hockey committee has been busy finalizing our Return to Play plan for OMHA approval;
we are working with the City of Thorold as well in this regard.
Thank you to those who have completed the pre-registration process as this has helped us to plan
for the number of teams to expect for this coming season.
The official Registration through Hockey Canada, with the collection of funds can commence as
early as September 2, 2020.All players must register through Hockey Canada with their Hockey
ID number. Please stay tuned for more information to come.
Our plan is to offer Hockey School, Local League and Rep Hockey this upcoming season based
on Hockey Canada, OHF, OMHA, NDHL, and local Public Health guidelines. Please review the
proposed framework below:
NDHL 2020-21 Return to play – 2020-21 Proposed Framework Highlights
· League Centres - Fort Erie, Garden City, Niagara On the Lake, Niagara Falls, Pelham, Port
Colborne, Thorold, Welland, West Niagara. League members outside our Public Health Unit
- Dunnville, Glancaster & Stoney Creek seeking approval to remain within our league
· Non-traditional hockey program for the 2020-21 season until such time as we reach Stage 4
within the OHF Return to Play Framework
· The first two weeks minimum of all programs will consist of development – target start date
October 1 st , 2020
· Rosters will consist of 9 players and 1 goalie. Players are only allowed to play on one team
and there will be no affiliation (A.P.)
· The teams will be based on the last season’s roster with the associations placing players on
the teams. Centres may enter multiple teams in each division and age group. There will be
· Local League will be decided by each Association to stay in house or participate with other
· Teams will be placed in Age Division League Bubbles of no greater than 5 teams (50
· Play will consist of 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 as outlined in the OHF Return to Play
· Teams will play 4 - 5 weeks segments within their bubble including a home and away with
· After each 4-5 week segments there will be a 14-day game break to reorganize each league
· Game day play can have 20 on the ice with practices allowing 30 once we reach phase 3B
and the approval of the Public Health Unit
· NRP players are allowed to remain with last season’s rostered association or return to their
· Local league players can stay with the team from last season or return to their home
association there will be no new players if the home association is offering a program
· Carryover suspensions will be served during the games once they commence
We as an Association have many unanswered questions, and appreciate that our family
community may have as well. We have provided the opportunity to submit questions.
We are attending a meeting with OMHA and NDHL representatives on September 1, 2020.
Along with the other Associations, we have been afforded the opportunity to provide a list of our
questions to the OMHA prior to this meeting so they can be addressed. We have prepared a
comprehensive list of questions that will be submitted to the OMHA.
As the plan is approved, we will continue to communicate with hockey families. In preparation
for registration, as noted above, please have your Hockey Canada Log in information ready and
your Hockey Canada ID. We hope to have the plan finalized by September 1 st and registration
open on September 2nd.
Thank you for your patience, your interest in this upcoming hockey season, and your dedication
to Thorold Minor Hockey.
Thorold Minor Hockey